The Main Idea Edit
There are concerted efforts going on in various parts of North America and the rest of the world, where people are mobilizing and trying to get the word out to the masses in these countries as to how they can donate to relief efforts for the recent earthquake in Pakistan. This page can form a networking point where various people can put up ideas, requests, questions, answers to the various issues that come up when trying to attempt fund raising.
- Maximize funds
- Spread awareness
- OPEN Silicon Valley: http://opensiliconvalley.com/Documents/pakistan_earthquake/corporate_campaign.html
- SAQUAKE.ORG, a newly-formed relief alliance of South Asian American Professional and Non-Profit Organizations: http://www.saquake.org
Universities at a GlanceEdit
Email sent to Students
Webpage on University site
Candle Light vigil
|Carnegie Mellon||Jahanzeb Sherwani||Ribbons, cards & posters|
|Cornell University||Ribbons & cards|
|Duke University||Sweta Patel||Dinner Fundraiser Sat 10/22, cards||Yes|
|Florida Int'l University||A table in the Main Hallway||Over $3,500|
|McGill University||Tamreez Inam||3 Large Posters, 5/6 Collection Boxes||$16,000|
|Mills College, CA||Fiza Asar||Donation Boxes in Campus building and Cafe/Store etc.|
|Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio||Arooj Sheikh||Fundraiser on Friday, Oct. 28, 131 Hitchcock Hall||Yes|
|Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute||Mahwish Hamlani||Fundraising dinner, and other fundraisers||Yes||Pakistan Earthquake Fundraising Activtites||10/22||$22,000|
|Stanford University||PaS Officers||Donation drop-offs in dorms & classrooms, stalls in central Plaza||Yes||Pakistanis at Stanford||10/25 @ 9pm||$12,200|
|University of Washington, WA||Ambreen Ali||Fundraising dinner and independent film showing||Yes||Pakistan Earthquake Relief Fund||10/22 @ 5:30pm||$40,000+|
Please add your university information to the table.
Specific Plans Edit
- See main article at Earthquake 10-05 Global Vigils on 11-08
- Nationwide: Online petition to request an Oprah show on the earthquake, for growing awareness and raising funds (1929 signatures as of 11/3, 10.33 PM PST)
- East Coast: Green Wristband Campaign. Buying bands for $0.30 and selling for $3 each. Contact info TBD
- Seattle, WA: Plan&Act In addition to the fundraising dinner at UW, we are holding a drama showcase and an Eid festival. So far, we have raised over $40,000.
- Columbus, Ohio: Cultural Association of Pakistani Americans of Ohio (CAPA-OHIO) and APPNA-Ohio Chapter held a fundraising iftar and dinner on Saturday, October 22, 2005 in a newly under-construction Al-Noor mosque and raised more than $30,000 in cash, checks and pledges. So far CAPA and APPNA has raised more than $50,000 since Oct. 7, 2005 for the relief of victims of earthquakes in Pakistan & Kashmir.
- New York, Oct 21: SAWCC is organizing a fund-raiser with performances, readings and sale of visual art. 100% of proceeds will be donated to the Edhi Foundation and to community members giving direct aid at the grassroots level. Please bring in-kind donations of painkillers, blankets, and warm clothing. Home-made food will be served. Contact Roohi Choudhry.
- Bay Area, CA, Oct 17: South Asian community is organizing a fund-raiser dinner event inviting employees of several companies from the area as well as representatives from several relief organizations to provide details of the relief operations and their specific needs.
- Bellevue, WA: Bellevue Mosque raised $41,000 for relief efforts